Once the sensory overload died down from Siggraph 2023, we were left with an incredible experience of cutting edge research and technology.
But, before we dive into that, let’s explore the parent organization that created it, called the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).
What is the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)?
ACM, the world’s largest educational and scientific computing society, delivers resources that advance computing as a science and a profession. ACM provides the computing field’s premier Digital Library and serves its members and the computing profession with leading-edge publications, conferences, and career resources.Source: ACM Website
The Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) began informally via several symposium events by Harvard, MIT and the New York Chapter of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers in early 1947.
Later that year, at Colombia University in New York, a meeting was organized that highlighted this increasing interest in computers. That day, they founded the Association of Computing Machinery (ACM).
The mission statement created at the founding meeting was:
“The purpose of this organization would be to advance the science, development, construction, and application of the new machinery for computing, reasoning, and other handling of information.”Source: ACM History
Since then the vision continued to grow with the current ACM constitution stating:
“The Association is an international scientific and educational organization dedicated to advancing the art, science, engineering, and application of information technology, serving both professional and public interests by fostering the open interchange of information and by promoting the highest professional and ethical standards.”Source: ACM History
Now that you understand what the ACM is, you might be wondering, what’s the connection to Siggraph?
Siggraph, The Original Computer Graphics and Interactive Tech Show Founded in 1973 by the ACM
One of these special interest ACM initiatives is putting on a conference called Siggraph.
In fact, this wildly popular exhibition on computer graphics and interactive techniques just celebrated their 50th year of existence.
Whether you’re new to this space or a seasoned veteran, we hope the following resources will have at least one thing you find useful.
We combed through all the best recaps and links to Siggraph and the ACM, so you don’t have to. (Unless you’re ultra passionate like we are and will do that anyway.)
Feel free to drop us a comment below of any coverage we might have missed or any posts you have done.
What took place at Siggraph 2023?
Siggraph consisted of:
- Keynotes, Workshops and Research Paper Presentations – This is the bread of butter content for the event
- An Exhibition Show Room floor – The usual trade-show scene with countless brands, demonstrations and ongoing presentations
- A Time Tunnel Display from 50 years of archived media – This was a cool and creative showcase old and historic works in a new engaging medium
- An Electronic and VR Theater – Storytelling demonstrating latest graphics and immersive narrative experiences
- A Real Time Live-stream – This was a section live-streamed on Twitch of presentation and Tech Demos
- An Art Gallery – A quirky artistic take on technology, culture and philosophy in a variety of exhibits
- The Immersive Pavilion – Our favorite section spotlighting amazing Emerging Tech hardware demonstrations
Our Top Insights and Takeaways
- Siggraph began as the ultimate global science hub for presenting technical papers and research on computer graphics and interactive tech
- It is a massive undertaking run by passionate volunteers and researchers
- The crowd included all walks of life including students, professors, researchers, consultants, freelancers, influencers, corporations, startups, and media organizations
- There were over 14,275 attendees from over 78 countries
- The organization celebrated its 50th birthday this year since starting in 1973
- Since then it has spawned offshoots like SIGAI and SIGCHI
- The 2024 conference will be in Denver, CO next year
Subscribe to ETM
SIGGRAPH 2023 Show Notes
- SIGGRAPH 2023 Conference Commemorates 50 Years of Innovations With Growth in Contributed Works and In-person Attendees [Pre-announcement]
- 50 Years of Innovation and Creativity in Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques Celebrated at SIGGRAPH 2023 [Post-announcement]
- SIGGRAPH Blog
- ACM SIGGRAPH YouTube Channel
- ACM SIGGRAPH Whitepapers Archive | 2023
- Technical Papers Awards: Best Papers, Honorable Mentions, and Test-of-Time
- Unveiling the Wonders of the Experience Hall at SIGGRAPH 2023
- Take in the Show-stopping Animation of the SIGGRAPH 2023 Electronic Theater
- Opening Session & Keynote: Dario Gil, What’s Next in Quantum Computing
- Assisted Artistry Unleashed: Powering the Future of Film and Real-Time 3D With Unity Wētā Tools
- NVIDIA Keynote
- Keynote: Kathryn Kleiman, Computer Programming Pioneers Revealed and ACM SIGGRAPH Award Presentations
- Pioneering the Future of Creation – Join Hiroaki Kitano on How Technology Impacts Creation
- Within Sight, Bridging Dimension: Generative AI From 2D to 3D to Push Boundaries for Imagination
- Real-Time Live Presentations
SIGGRAPH 2023 Recaps
- SIGGRAPH 2023 papers on the web [Ke-sen Huang]
- Featured Videos [postPerspective]
- AI-Mediated 3D Video Conferencing at Emerging Technologies [NVIDIA]
- Hidden forces and sliding screens trick the senses to make VR feel more real [Tech Crunch]
- SIGGRAPH 2023 Review (BTN: Tuesday, August 15th, 2023) [Render Network]
- SuperRenders Farm: Siggraph 2023 Highlights Recap [SuperRenders]
- SIGGRAPH 2023 Papers [Paper Digest]
- NVIDIA Changed Generative AI Forever (SIGGRAPH 2023 Supercut) [VIDEO – Ticker Symbol: YOU]
- Videos: SIGGRAPH 2023’s Time Tunnel and Art Gallery [Laughing Place]
- The Latest Big News on SIGGRAPH 2023, NVIDIA, Varjo, Vicon, and Brilliant Labs [XR Today]
- SIGGRAPH 2023 Highlights [Forbes]
- 3D Artist Recap | Siggraph 2023 – The Year of the Strike, AI, and Universal File Formats [The 3D Recap]
- SIGGRAPH 2023: day one recap and NeRFs! | In Pictures [3DVF]
- 7 Big Announcements Nvidia Made At SIGGRAPH 2023: New AI Chips, Software And More [CRN]
- Future of VR Unveiled at the 50th SIGGRAPH Event [Tech Report]
- Meta has two award-winning VR headsets you’ll never get to try [Tech Radar]
- NVIDIA Keynote Highlights [Tech Republic]
- What Meta’s wild headset prototypes really mean [Politico]
- SIGGRAPH 2023 Conference Commemorates 50 Years of Innovations With Growth in Contributed Works and In-person Attendees [Yahoo News]
Siggraph 2023 Action Items
- Read the official SIGGRAPH Press Release and at least a few of the Recaps.
- Check the Siggraph YouTube channel for additional intel.
- For macro big picture concepts, check the ACM YouTube channel. (We loved the retrospective on past computer visionaries)
- What categories and topics are exciting to you? Note them down.
- Think about next actions you can take from this data like: Who can you reach out to, What topics do you want to go deeper on? How will you do that?
- What is the purpose of looking into this in the first place? Take note and follow that answer as your North Star to guide you.